My next bundle:

To my beautiful baby girl (second born),

Here is the story of your birth:
When I was only a few months pregnant with you, I started having extreme pains.  I thought the pains would go away, but they didn’t.  The pain was so severe that it made me throw up!  Your dad was very concerned, and he took me to the hospital.  I couldn’t walk because of the pain, so your dad had to carry me to the car.
When we got to the hospital, we had to wait in the emergency room waiting room for about 45 minutes!  This was an agonizing time for me, because I had to sit up.  All I wanted to do was lie down.
When they finally took us back and found a bed, they didn’t have a room.  We had to be in the hallway!
They did an ultrasound and determined that I had an ovarian cyst the size of a Nerf football.  In addition to its size, it was twisting my right ovary and fallopian tube.  I had to have surgery to remove the cyst and ovary that was dying.
We were so nervous that you weren’t going to make it through this experience, but you did!  Phew!
Before the day of your birth, we got everything ready for your arrival.  We set up the birth pool and a single bed in the den next to the fireplace.  In the months before your birth, we also prepared your room by painting and putting up fun girly decorations.
It all began on August 21st when I went to visit the midwife.  I knew that I was having constant Braxton-Hicks, and I wondered if I was making progress.  The midwife informed me that I was 3 ½ centimeters dilated, 50% effaced, and that you were at -1 station.  For the next few weeks I was very antsy for your arrival.  In fact, my labor stopped and started a few times before you actually came.
Well, it was Saturday, September 1st when my real labor started.  I was sleeping, and I woke up at 1:45 a.m. to go to the bathroom.  When I sat up in bed, my water broke.  I still got up and went to the bathroom, and I then informed your dad that my water broke.  Because it was early in the morning, he was very disoriented, and I had to tell him two or three times before he actually got what I was saying to him.  We then decided that we should try to go back to sleep, but my contractions started.  It wasn’t possible to sleep; I was too excited.  We then called the midwife so she could start making her way to us.
For the next couple hours, your daddy prepared the house while I labored with contractions about every ten minutes.  We called your grandma around 3 a.m., and she came over to help us.  When the midwife arrived at about 4:30, I was in the tub.  She checked my progress and said I was dilated to 6 centimeters.  She could tell from the intensity of my contractions that it would be a while until you arrived.  She proceeded to get comfortable and fall asleep on the couch.  Because of her lack of urgency, I got out of the birthing pool and into the single bed we had set up in the living room.  As the midwife slept, your dad and I lay in the bed laboring.  I was doing well and was actually falling asleep between contractions.  Your dad would wake me up before the contractions started so that I wouldn’t be startled.  It was strange because I could even feel you moving during the contractions.  You would kick and squirm while I was in pain, and I would say, “Can you just not move around right now?”
At around 6:30, your grandpa came to pick up your brother so that he wouldn’t be there for the birth.  Around this same time, my contractions became more intense, and I got into the tub again.  When, I got into the tub, the midwife checked me, and I was only dilated to 7.  My contractions were about 5 minutes apart now.  About Forty minutes later, I had the urge to push, and I screamed out in pain.  One more push with a scream and you were out.  You were born at 7:46 a.m.  Your dad caught you.  You were covered with vernix, and I brought your gooey body up to my chest.  You opened your little eyes and gave a good healthy cry.  The midwife suctioned you to get the mucous out of your nose and mouth.  A little while later, your dad cut your umbilical cord.  Your dad held you as I got out of the tub to give birth to the placenta.  When the midwife examined the placenta, she said that it was quite roomy for a little baby.
I pushed you out so fast that I was sure that I tore, but when the midwife checked I didn’t even have a nick.  God was good, and all my good nutrition had paid off.  When the midwife knew that I was fine, she checked on you.  You were looking a little white so she did a little more suctioning and rubbed you down to get your circulation going.  You pinked right up.
After the birth, the midwife informed us of what a miracle baby you were.  She said
that most of her clients who have surgery during their pregnancy either lose their baby,
or they don’t carry the baby to full term.  Neither happened to you!  We were blessed
with our beautiful bundle of joy.  “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the
morning.” Psalm 30:5
After things settled a little, I put you to my breast to nurse.  You were a natural.  That first time you nursed, you sucked and sucked for about 30 minutes.  You knew that your mom had good nutrition just waiting for you.
After you were done eating, I couldn’t wait to see how big you were.  The midwife weighed and measured you.  You weighed 7 lbs. 4 oz. and were 21 inches long.
Then I realized how hungry I was.  Your grandma then prepared us breakfast of eggs and sausage and chocolate chip bread and fresh orange juice.  It was delicious.
You had a great birthday!  Everyone who met you couldn’t stop saying how beautiful you were for a newborn.  We kept visitors to a minimum, and only your grandparents came to see you on the day of your birth.

Your blessed mama!



2 thoughts on “My next bundle:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s