Hi! Long time no see! I’m still around, and I want to get back around to doing some more blogging.
Last October, my family had what we chose to call a fiscal fast. You may call it something different, but it was good for us. Let me outline the what, why, and how of it 🙂
- Avoid unnecessary spending
- Spend money on only necessary items. Our list included below *
- Yard Sale to sort what we have and clean things out
- Try to recruit others to join you!
*gasoline for the car, utilities, mortgage/rent, credit card bills, student loan, snacks for our Bradley® natural childbirth class, eye glasses for our son, eggs (We support a local farmer and didn’t want to short change them for a whole month), built in splurge to buy lunch on yard sale day
- To answer the question of whether or not we could survive if the grocery store wasn’t available for a month
- It’s good to rotate food in the pantry and freezer to make sure it doesn’t go bad.
- To save money
- To practice some self-control
- Plan ahead!
- Make a month of meal plans. I just printed out a calendar page of the month that we chose. My goal was to plan dinner for 31 days. We would mostly eat leftovers for lunches, but I did plan an occasional lunch. For breakfast, we mostly ate eggs.
- Right before the month begins, stock up on fruits and veggies that will keep well. Since we were in the autumn season, I stocked up on apples, squash, carrots, celery, etc.
- Start going through your stuff to have items to sell for a yard sale.
- We ate a lot of soups, frozen and canned. We also had frozen meals that had been in the freeze for a while (i.e.- enchiladas, lasagna, etc.)
- CONFESSION: We decided that we could allow ourselves to go out to eat once, because we had a gift card. WELL, I neglected to remember that a tip is required at a restaurant. We paid for the tip, of course. I couldn’t short change our hard-working waitress, because of my oversight.
What did we learn:
- We learned that we could do it!
- We learned that we had the self-control to make it happen.
- We missed the option of running to the store for this and that, but we learned that our friends were willing to barter or share here and there 🙂 We have some pretty nice friends!
We are planning to embark on this fiscal fast again for October 2015! Care to join us? My allowances for the month of October will be the same expect for we don’t currently have a childbirth class, and I will also make a day trip out of town to get new eye glasses for our son.